October 14, 2009

America's Wastelands

I was posting a Blue Man Group video earlier today and begun thinking about the wastelands of America I've witnessed in my personal explorations and travels. Urban and industrial decay is not only a tragedy of abandonment but of the environment.

Take, for instance, a small coal town in Pennsylvania - Centralia - where a mine fire has been burning under the ground for nearly 50 years. Centralia is now a ghost town, but the smoldering fire will burn hundreds of years spreading to nearby towns.

What to think of all this? I'm not sure entirely. But environmental disasters are some of the key forces behind cultural abandonment's. Man playing with nature as she builds her industrial playground have consequences. Below is Blue Man Groups video "Earth to America"!

2 comments:

Emm said...

That is so interesting. It is not what I expected Blue Man Group to sound like at all - I thought they were more of a hip hop group for some reason. I think I'll go look up some more of their stuff!

(Found you on Entrecard).

dearly departed said...

Hi Em. Yes, I'd seen.. You have a gr8 journal.
Blue Man is an eclectic wonder to be sure :)

Considered an organization which uses media and art to get a message across, I respect them. I just seen they're going to be broadcasting from Norwegian Cruise Lines. That should be interesting...:-D

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
-Henri Cartier-Bresson-

Public Commons

We see the beauty in decay and the shadowed dreams of the forgotten.